Your perfect nude lip will depend entirely on the shade. Remember nude is not the same as neutral, you must take into consideration your skin tone and lip color. The right color will create depth and contour as the wrong color can make the entire face look dull or washed-out.
Choosing a color for your skin tone:
- For fair or pale skin: Avoid beige tones. Opt for soft pinks, peaches or pale apricot as your base shade.
- For the golden girls: Creamy, caramel-toned nudes and warm beiges. Avoid anything too cool, like grays or silver-toned shades.
- For olive tones: Just about any nude shade will work, from beige to bronze to pinks.
- For skin with yellow undertones: Light, creamy-toned beiges like latte or mocha.
- For dark-toned skin: Go for chocolate tones such as rich golden browns and coffees.
- Nude Lip Liner – Favorite: Here
- Lip Brush
- Nude Lipstick – Favorite: Here
- Nude Lipgloss – Favorite: Here
- Prep and moisturize the lips.
- Blot a layer of foundation onto the lips. This will let lipstick perform at it’s truest color.
- Define lips with a liner that is the half-a-shade deeper than lipstick. This will give the illusion of plumper lips.
- Using a lip brush, apply lipstick.
- Blot the lips with tissue and reapply.
- If a glossy finish is preferred – apply nude lipgloss.
Powder highlighting products can often look artificial. Dior Poudre Shimmer in Amber Diamond highlights the complexion with subtle sheen. Formulated with “Jeweled Microdust,” a finely micro-milled powder, the tiny particles kiss the light and leave skin radiant and glowing.
In typical Dior fashion, packaging arrives beautifully in a velvet pouch with a sturdy royal blue mirrored compact. The product consists of five blendable colors in varying sizes; ivory, pale pink, bronze, frosty rose and peach. Each individual shade can be worn alone as a highlight, on-top of blush or as an eye shadow or swirled together to create a warm and glowing champagne/gold sheen. The oil-free powder applies like silk and emits a soft illuminating glow.
Dior Poudre Shimmer is perfect for both young and mature skin. The finely-milled powder has no trace of glitter or sparkle, therefore will not emphasize fine lines or problem areas. It is designed to blend accurately with the skin’s natural tone for an even smooth finish. The universal shade works on every skin tone, making it an effective product all-year-round.
This holiday season, MAC Cosmetics teamed up with ice skater Johnny Weir in creating it’s Glitter & Ice collection. Sparkles and frost are the constant in this collection, with shades that resemble a winter wonderland.
The Paint Pot in Morning Frost immediately caught my eye. The shimmering champagne taupe color is a beautiful hue that will accentuate any eye color. In different lights it manifests gold, bronze, taupe and pink shades.
MAC Paint Pots, in my opinion, are the best eye primers. They can be worn on their own or as a base for eyeshadow. They do not crease and provide eye-makeup with long-wear durability.
To achieve a sun-kissed glow on the face, I opt for bronzing powders/creams or purchase darker foundations/tinted moisturizers. I cringe at the thought of applying faux-tanning products to the face. In past experience I have found they sink into pores, cause breakouts and never provide natural-looking results. That is until now, after discovering Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads, I am a frequenter of faux-face tanning.
Dr. Denis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads are pre-soaked towelettes that provide anti-aging benefits as well as a glowing complexion. These pads exfoliate the skin, tighten pores, eliminate blackheads and help fade existing sun damage. One small pad reveals natural radiant skin that provides a long-lasting tan and fades gracefully. This product is great all-year round, it effectively evens-out skintone which reduces the need for heavy foundations and concelers.