How To: Quick Smokey Eye
The key to any smokey eye look is proper blending. The goal is to achieve a gradient effect, dark to light. Standard black is not your only option, experiment with color. Here’s how:
⋄ Cream Eyeshadow that matches skintone or Eyeshadow Primer
⋄ Powder Eyeshadow that matches skintone
⋄ Kohl Eye Pencil
⋄ Powder Eye Shadow that matches Kohl Eye Pencil
⋄ Pencil Brush
1. Apply cream eyeshadow or primer over eyelid to create a smooth base. Apply matching powder eyeshadow to set.
2. Use kohl eye pencil to trace top lashline from the inner to outer corners (this does not need to be perfect).
3. With pencil brush – start smudging. The goal is to have the darkest line close the lashline as color fades up.
4. Dip pencil brush in matching eyeshadow and blend the color up and outward from the pencil liner. (the higher you take this on the eyelid the more dramatic the look).
5. On the lower lashline, use kohl eye pencil to create tiny dots between lashes.
6. With pencil brush – start smudging. Dip pencil brush in matching eyeshadow and smudge to set.
7. Use Q-Tip to clean-up. Finish with two heavy coats of black mascara.
Optional: For more drama, line upper and lower waterline.
Tip: I like to finish this look by sweeping a light soft brown eyeshadow in the crease. This will warm-up the entire eye area.
How To: Bright Eyeliner
Bright eyeliner is a dramatic accent with minimal effort. A pop of color can “glam up” a makeup look instantly.
With this look, you want to tone down all other parts of the face. However, if daring enough, my favorite party season look is cobalt blue eyeliner paired with a fuchsia lip. Create your favorite combination with these easy steps.
✒ Eye primer (Favorite: MAC Paint Pots)
✒ Matte White Eye Pencil (Favorite: NYX Milk)
✒ Bright Eye Liner (Favorite: Urban Decay 24/7 Pencils)
✒ Matching Bright Eye Shadow Shade
✒ Prime the lids and under-eye with eye primer.
✒ With a matte white pencil, draw a baseline where the bright color will go. (this will inhance the vibrancy of the color and help with the shape of the line)
✒ Trace over the white pencil with the bright eye liner.
✒ For a more dramatic look, make the outside line a bit thicker than the inside and extend it just beyond the lash line.
✒ Optional: Apply the bright eye liner to the lower lashes, keeping as close to the lash line as possible.
✒ Dip the bright pencil into the matching eye shadow and trace over these lines to increase brightness and ensure longevity.
✒ Apply two heavy coats of mascara to add definition and emphasize the look.
This look can be altered depending on preference and eye shape. Experiment with color and thickness of the line. If intimidated: Start by lining the lower lash line with a bright color only and leave lid neutral. Bright eyeliner is a great way to change-up your makeup routine and attain instant drama.
Great color combinations:
BLUE: Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil: Flipside & NARS Eyeshadow: Outremer
PURPLE: Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil: Ransom & MAC Eyeshadow: Purple Haze
GREEN: Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil: Mildew & Urban Decay Eyeshadow: Mildew
TURQUOISE: Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil: Electric & MAKEUP FOREVER Eyeshadow: 72
PINK: MAKEUP FOREVER Aqua Pencil: 13L & MAKEUP FOREVER Eyeshadow: 75