How To: Quick Smokey Eye
The key to any smokey eye look is proper blending. The goal is to achieve a gradient effect, dark to light. Standard black is not your only option, experiment with color. Here’s how:
⋄ Cream Eyeshadow that matches skintone or Eyeshadow Primer
⋄ Powder Eyeshadow that matches skintone
⋄ Kohl Eye Pencil
⋄ Powder Eye Shadow that matches Kohl Eye Pencil
⋄ Pencil Brush
1. Apply cream eyeshadow or primer over eyelid to create a smooth base. Apply matching powder eyeshadow to set.
2. Use kohl eye pencil to trace top lashline from the inner to outer corners (this does not need to be perfect).
3. With pencil brush – start smudging. The goal is to have the darkest line close the lashline as color fades up.
4. Dip pencil brush in matching eyeshadow and blend the color up and outward from the pencil liner. (the higher you take this on the eyelid the more dramatic the look).
5. On the lower lashline, use kohl eye pencil to create tiny dots between lashes.
6. With pencil brush – start smudging. Dip pencil brush in matching eyeshadow and smudge to set.
7. Use Q-Tip to clean-up. Finish with two heavy coats of black mascara.
Optional: For more drama, line upper and lower waterline.
Tip: I like to finish this look by sweeping a light soft brown eyeshadow in the crease. This will warm-up the entire eye area.
How To: Glitter
Sparkle this holiday season with a little glitter.
Application of glitter can go terribly wrong… fast. It is messy and can look too theatrical if not careful. To make glitter appear chic and sophisticated, use only a small amount in a concentrated area.
Start with product. The Illusion D’Ombre Eyeshadows by Chanel are by far my favorite. They have intense pigmentation and provide a classic shimmering effect with one easy-to-use swipe. They can be used with fingers or a very dense brush for perfect application. If actual glitter is desired, loose pigments/glitter are best. Make Up Forever Glitters are soft, concentrated and finely-milled for super sparkle.
How To Apply Glitter:
➺ On clean eyelids, apply eyeshadow primer from lash line to brow bone. (Favorite: Urban Decay Primer Potion)
➺ The glitter will need something to adhere to, apply a cream eyeshadow to the lid. This can be nude or a color that compliments the glitter. (Favorite: MAC Paint Pot)
➺ Using a small synthetic brush, dip into the glitter. Tap off excess.
➺ Press the glitter onto the lid in a dabbing motion. Do not sweep.
➺ Mist a setting spray gently on the eyes and wait to dry. (Favorite: Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray)
✴ If this technique is still too messy, on the back of hand or artist’s palette, mix cream eyeshadow and glitter together and apply to the lid. With glitter application, fallout is expected. Make sure to do eye makeup first and face makeup second. Dab the fallout with scotch tape to clean any loose particles.